Tuesday, November 10, 2009

An Insight

First I would like to say sorry for hiding. I promised I would be honest, but honesty, I feel, is sometimes hard to voice. This is an email I sent to a friend of mine after my last visit to PCMC, October 29. It is really how I feel. I have decided to give everyone another insight. It has been long overdue. So here you go. . .

"I am bummed that we didn't get to talk, but considering your schedule and my bad timing I wasn't sure you were going to be free. So I will give you an update so you at least are in the loop. I didn't learn anything that I already didn't know really. The tumors that we knew about are bigger which I knew because my pain has increased. I have a couple of new tumors in my lungs which I didn't know about but that is just how things go for me now days so it was expected.

"I have been having a hard time making the choice on whether to quit treatment or not. I came down here totally convinced that I was done. Overcooked, black, and all crispy. :) When I got to the clinic on Monday though I wasn't so sure. After being around people that I could talk openly and freely about how I feel and not worry about any backlash, a part of me considered to keep going with treatments. And the big kicker was that I knew what I wanted to do, but was too ashamed to voice my opinion. I felt like saying "I'm done with treatments" would crush other people's point of view. . . or hope. . . or whatever of/for me. I have. . . The Cancer has caused way to much pain and I don't want to inflict more, but I know that there is no way around that. I mean. . . sorry to be so blunt, but I am going to die and that is going to cause people in my family to be sad. But whether I chose to do chemo or not will not effect that outcome so preventing pain is not anything I have control over.

"I finally realized that I knew what I wanted to do. I had a choice between: 1- hanging on to the edge of a cliff . . . which is what I have been doing and for which I don't have the strength to do anymore and 2- just jumping off the dang cliff (because that is how it is going to end anyway) and enjoy a small flight on the way down. :) I am tired. I am worn down. I am sick of being sick. I am sick of the shameful burden of thinking "Well, maybe". . . not maybe. . . "I hope this is what finally does me in." I am so sick of it and I don't want to put up with it anymore.

"Every time I have been hurting excruciatingly I have just asked Heavenly Father, "When? How much longer must I endure this?" My answer was, "Not for much longer." I have taken comfort in that. :) I know that could be weird for me to tell you that, but I felt impressed to. Take it for what it is. Whatever it is. :) lol

"I knew if I left today without making a decision, my decision would be to not decide and therefore not take the brunt of chaos and flack that may, or may not come my way. It was a hard decision to make, but I decided to stop treatment. For now anyway. Dr. Barnette made it perfectly clear that does not have to be it. I could change my mind if I want to. Right now though, I can't believe the peace, happiness, and gratitude that filled me once I made the decision that I have wanted to make for almost three weeks now. I just never wanted to voice it.

So we came up with a plan for keeping in touch. I am going to be in at least once a month. I know as I get feeling worse I am going to want to be around more just for the moral support. . ."

Anyway. now you know what I know. :)

Jenna Lee

P.S. Am I all grown up now? lol"

Truely, after making this decision I have felt a peace and happiness I haven't felt in a while. Two weeks later I feel the same. Although on Sunday I started sobbing and I didn't even know why. I mean besides the obvious. I hadn't been thinking about things. Don't really know what I was thinking about now that I think about it. I had gotten done talking to my Stake President about how "what was up" and just left the group to go get a drink. I was alone and just started to sob. It wasn't very long because I knew I had to "suck it up". It wasn't the time or the place to break down. . . as if there is any time or place for that. . .


Anyway now everyone knows what I know, finally. See you next post. I'm not promising anything though. :) 'Til next time.

Jenna Lee

5 comments:

Ash + Dust said...

Oh Jen. We love you so much. Your post just had me in tears. You are so brave and so strong. That has got to be a hard decision to make, but if you feel such peace... it must be the right one. Never forget how much you are loved and how many people pray for you every single day.

Lynn Thornton said...

Hi Jenna. Thanks for your continued posts...I always get a great deal from them.

My old boss just passed on an interesting book he wanted me to read called "The Shack". I really enjoyed it. Its an interesting twist on things, but also thought provoking....give it a read.

Lynn Thornton

Debra said...

My Dear Jenna. I love you so much and have since you were that beautiful child I remember...now grown up into a beautiful young woman. Sharing your comments brings into motion so much of what we have been taught...where we came from, why we're here, and where we are going. So many love you...here, and even more in Heaven. We are all watching, praying, loving you through this. I pray with all my heart you feel it and it brings you ever more comfort and peace.

Jeff said...

JENNA. I love you. I am so impressed by who you are and the manner in which you weather the journey of your life. I can only pray to be as strong. Thank you for your continuing example in my life. Just an example of your example: remember that time you asked me to give you a blessing at Grandma's house? That was such a blessing for ME that I could only hope that you had gotten something out of it too.

Love you, all the way from Paris,
Jeff

Unknown said...

jen, you honestly are the most amazing person, you've been through so much that I can't comprehend but I totally look up to you and hope that I can be as strong as you. Life isn't about actually fighting to live it.. its just about living it to the fullest. Your the best! We love you Jen!