Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Memorial Day! My Favorite Holiday!!

I have finally decided on my favorite holiday. It doesn't really surprise me considering how much I love to hear about my ancestors and what they were like. This Memorial Day was fast and a little wearing on my body. Dad, Mom, Joie, and I all went to American Falls to visit the graves of Grandma and Grandpa Walker and a few Greats and Great-Greats and then stop by Grandma and Grandpa Rudds house. It is always fun. Here are just a few pictures of our trip:


We started off in Aberdeen where Grandma Mary Walker was buried by her first husband and her parents.



Next stop was to visit Aunt Eileen's grave in American Falls. This is the most beautiful Cemetery I have seen. Well, at least the one with the best view.

Then we went to Neeley Cemetery to visit the Walkers. There were five gernerations there, me, Dad, Levi Rufus (his dad), Lemuel Levi, (Dad's Grandpa), and Rufus (Dad's Great Grandpa and the first one to join the LDS Church).

We ended our trip with a stop at Grandma and Grandpa Rudd's. I love going there. Their home is so inviting and there is always something to talk about. Plus they live right on the American Falls Reservior. Beautiful views complete with waterfalls, a little bridge over a brook, and cows. lol


Joie and I wanted a better picture of the little bridge so we crossed the cattle gaurd to go around a fence. The cows ran away from us at first, but then they came jaunting up to us pretty close, too close for my comfort anyway.

I was trapped on the other side of the fence and ended up haveing to jump a fence. I haven't done that since I was about fourteen. My body could take it then. This time it was a little pathetic. Joie had to give me a piggy back ride off of the fence. The whole situation was down right hillarious and we almost fell over laughing our guts out!!

I am so thankful for my ancestors and the trials they went through and the choices they made. I am sad that I have not been able to meet them. My Great-Great-Great Grandfather gave up the love of his family here on earth for the hope of being together with them for all eternity. I have other ancestors that came to this country so that they could have a better life and give their posterity the chance to do better than they were able to. I am greatful for their example in making choices for the betterment of those to come and not those that are. I hope I can follow their example and make choices that are not better for me, but for others that I love.

3 comments:

Joel Flake, Sr. said...

Thanks Jenna. I really enjoy reading your blog. It makes me feel connected. Brother Flake.

Joie said...

FYI jenna lee... i took those pictures and if i don't say so myself... I'm darn good. My fav is the black and white of the waterfalls. B-E-A-UTIFUL.

I LOVE YOU!!!

Anonymous said...

Jenna--I have to agree that the AF cemetery is the most beautiful ever! It's nice to visit anytime--not just Memorial Day. Would've loved to see you when you came down, but I know how busy things can be. Love your blog! Great job on the pics, Joie!
Your fave cousin, Konni :) (too lazy to sign up) so I'm anonymous!)