Monday, May 18, 2009

A Theory On Why We Keep Going.

People have asked me how I can go through cancer with such a good attitude. I only have one answer: What else am I supposed to do? I mean, when a person is faced with any difficulty they have two options: to ride the wave or to fight the wave. One is way easier to do and is more enjoyable than the other, but the point is that the wave is still there. It will happen no matter how you choose react to it.

I am reminded of a horse that was found in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina hit. It survived the hurricane and the floods, but it ended up losing a leg and was in very poor health. The horse worked to get better and worked with the veterinarian as it fitted it with a prosthetic leg. The horse's attitude impressed its caretakers so much that when they fit it with the prosthetic leg, they had a smiley face carved into the bottom of it so that where ever the horse went it would leave an actual smile behind it.

So, "What else am I supposed to do?" I can be miserable for the rest of time. Or I can just accept what is going on and try to be at peace with it. Try to make the better of the decisions thrown my way, cause none of them are "happy, feel good" options, and weigh each decision with great care and consideration.

I am also greatful for the teachings I have been given about the atonement of Christ. The knowledge I have has blessed me often and helped calm my troubled heart. I am thankful for my Savior and that he loved me so much that he was willing to make the sacrifice for me. I am also thankful for my parents. They have been great through the last three years as they have tried to help ease the burden of my decisions and consequences. It all has helped me continue to keep truckin along and try to be at peace with my trials.

1 comment:

Jenna Lee said...

jennalee.....you have a smiley face too. It is actually on your beautiful face and you leave a smile in everyone's heart everywhere you go!

i love you!

mommylee